Cyprus History

The Republic of Cyprus was established in 1960, after the former colony gained independence from Britain. Since 1974, however, a de facto division of the island has existed, with the lawful Cyprus government controlling 63% of the territory, and the pseudo state formed by the Turkish Cypriots, backed by Turkish Army Units, controlling the remaining 37% .

The scene of constant anti-colonial and intercommunal strife since the mid- 1950's, Cyprus assumed an importance out of proportion to its size and population because of its strategic location and its impact on the national interests of other nations.